What Does Saliva Do? Common question we get as dentists at our clinic for sure!

Keeping hydrated on a hot summer’s day can be a challenge with temperatures rising further and further. However, it is very important to keep your water intake levels high to also keep saliva levels in the mouth high.

Saliva plays a vital role in keeping our mouths healthy and is produced by 3 different glands within your mouth. Daily production of saliva ranges from 0.5 – 1.0 litres and is composed of ~99% water with the other 1% being solids, mostly proteins and electrolytes. Saliva helps keep our mouths in a healthy state through the following functions:

  • Protecting teeth from decay and erosion by countering acids in the foods we eat
  • Digesting food via enzymes contained within
  • Cleansing and lubrication
  • Coating our gums and soft tissues, thus giving protection against bugs and microbes
  • Diluting and clearing sugars and carbohydrates introduced into the mouth

Low saliva flow has not only been linked to higher rates of dental decay, but also dental erosion, which if left untreated can become quite a serious issue. If you are concerned about dental decay or erosion, or are after more information, please give our friendly staff at Plainland Dental a call on (07) 5465 7995

Dr. Alistair Tang

Based on 145 Reviews
Kerin Stinear
May 29, 2024

On this occasion the dentist Natalie was very good, explained clearly why specialist surgery was required. The standout however, was Bec the admin. Officer, who went over and above to get me an urgent appt. the next day. She was amazing & I very much appreciated her assistance.

April 10, 2024

I've just called to make an appoint with Dr Kapil and have learnt he is no longer doing general dental work. Sadly after 20 years I need to find a new dentist. He will be hard to replace....